Sunday, October 24, 2010

Thoughts after exploration...

When I was searching the internet checking out the competition, I found that many graphic design program websites are very basic.  Most were just a page or two within their schools main website and the layout and look resembled the main site.  I then began searching outside of the box and looked at websites that related to graphic design as a whole.  What I found was not disappointing at all.  COLOR, COLOR, COLOR, surrounded me everywhere I looked!  I really feel our design should have bold beautiful color while not being too busy and overwhelming.  
I found illustrations and hand drawings were commonly used as the imagery throughout the sites.  With the variety of styles that our team is composed of, I really hope that we can combine our ideas into a magical design that will interest designers of a variety of styles while still appearing very professional.
When our group first reviewed the site, we agreed that the pages needed to be split up into different sections.  Some of the pages seemed to be filled with too much text/content for one page.  So when I was exploring others sites, I noted their navigations and what I liked or disliked.  We talked about separating the site into parents, potential students and current students.  Now after my explorations, I am starting to think maybe we can scratch the parents because anything they might be on the site looking for will be covered under the potential or current students sections.  Still need to discuss this with my group...  I drafted up my suggestion or idea for the site map and the way I thought would be nicely organized and beneficial to the visitor.  I am excited to show it to me team members and get their feedback or to combine our ideas and determine a finalized site map so that we can move on to tackling the design.  
I attached my sketch for the site layout... any thoughts or suggestions?


4 comments:

  1. The diagram is pretty well thought out and has a lot of useful information. Looking at what you have right now, it seems like it will be a lot more useful to prospective students. By the way, I'm unsure if they've changed their site since I applied, but UF's graphic design website is a pretty good example of what NOT to do with it. It was so frustrating trying to get to requirements and everything useful. I am excited that you are working on our website! If definitely needs to be updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys are moving in the right direction. I agree that the site should be clean and not too busy but should be fun at the same time. Separating the graphic design site from the look of the main usf site is a good idea. Graphic design is about being creative and the aesthetics of a usable space. The current USF website is totally uninspiring. Added a sense of color and design will go a long way in creating an inviting site that will draw potential students to it. From the site diagram, its seems as though the site will have a lot of content but it will be separated in such a way that it isn't overwhelming. I've seen some of the preliminary work you guys have been doing and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, I'd especially like the idea to have a page of Frequent Questions and Answers adds into the site to let students and parents know more about the program such as cost, lab fee, Kinko's...etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its awesome that you guys are redoing our aged website!

    The topics that you chose I think are very good. Its good to have LOTS of information available to whoever may stumble upon the website so that it meets anyone coming across the site.

    My only suggestion?

    Adding a class picture to the current students section. :) It would be very retro haha

    ReplyDelete